[Conglomerate] Problem compiling conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Hi all,
compilation of conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz fails on my Mandrake Linux
9.2 box with this message:

Making all in data
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/roby/src/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1/data'
LC_ALL=C ../intltool-merge ../po conglomerate.desktop.in
conglomerate.desktop -d -u -c ../po/.intltool-merge-cache
The OrigTree module doesn't seem to be properly installed
../intltool-merge

make[2]: *** [conglomerate.desktop] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/roby/src/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1/data'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roby/src/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Any ideas?

Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze rosselli at ling.unipi.it
del Linguaggio Then spoke the thunder DA
Universita' di Torino Datta: what have we given? (TSE)

Hige sceal the heardra, heorte the cenre,
mod sceal the mare, the ure maegen litlath. (Maldon 312-3)
Geert Stappers
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Hi all,
compilation of conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz fails on my Mandrake Linux
Making all in data
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/roby/src/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1/data'
LC_ALL=C ../intltool-merge ../po conglomerate.desktop.in
conglomerate.desktop -d -u -c ../po/.intltool-merge-cache
The OrigTree module doesn't seem to be properly installed
../intltool-merge
make[2]: *** [conglomerate.desktop] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/roby/src/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1/data'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roby/src/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
Any ideas?
Yes, it means `make distcheck` sayed to early "the tarball is release ready" :-((

It is on my side, I'll take care of it.
( update of intltool, make distcheck, better check )

Thanks for the report
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Geert Stappers
Geert Stappers
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Geert Stappers
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Hi all,
compilation of conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz fails on my Mandrake Linux
[ intltool-merge issue ]
Any ideas?
Yes, it means `make distcheck` sayed to early "the tarball is release ready" :-((
It is on my side, I'll take care of it.
( update of intltool, make distcheck, better check )
update my intltools,
rerunt ./autogen.sh ( puts a new intltool-merge.in in conge tree)
did `uss/mkcvstarball` ( is a `make distcheck`,
includes the intltool-merge.in in the tarball )
checked the tarball by unpacking and `./configure` plus `make`
all went fine on my computer

The real check is doing a new download of

http://www.stappers.nl/gst/temporary/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz

( it includes the new hooks ui )
Post by Geert Stappers
Thanks for the report
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Geert Stappers
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Geert Stappers
The real check is doing a new download of
http://www.stappers.nl/gst/temporary/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz
( it includes the new hooks ui )
Compilation now runs just fine, it really deserved a .pre2 tag ;) A
little quirk that I've noticed when compiling Conglomerate on my own:
you have this configure option

--enable-gtksourceview build with GtkSourceView support default=yes

"on" by default, as you can see, but in the final report configure
prints

gtksourceview enable: no

and it actually doesn't work.

Now going to test the teixlite.xds ...

Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze rosselli at ling.unipi.it

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Now going to test the teixlite.xds ...
A new version with a little improvement has been attached to bug 133060.
I started looking at the colours, what's the meaning of the "a0b0c0"
string? Tried some modifications but they didn't work.

Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze rosselli at ling.unipi.it

Dave Malcolm
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Now going to test the teixlite.xds ...
A new version with a little improvement has been attached to bug 133060.
I've added some comments to that bug; you might want to cc yourself onto
it BTW.
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
I started looking at the colours, what's the meaning of the "a0b0c0"
string? Tried some modifications but they didn't work.
The color attribute is horribly broken; I intend to remove it.
Conglomerate ignores it and uses a bizarre hashing algorithm based on
the characters in the element's name. Sorry about that.
Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Dave Malcolm
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Now going to test the teixlite.xds ...
A new version with a little improvement has been attached to bug 133060.
I've added some comments to that bug; you might want to cc yourself onto
it BTW.
OK.
Post by Dave Malcolm
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
I started looking at the colours, what's the meaning of the "a0b0c0"
string? Tried some modifications but they didn't work.
The color attribute is horribly broken; I intend to remove it.
Conglomerate ignores it and uses a bizarre hashing algorithm based on
the characters in the element's name. Sorry about that.
Hmm, I hope the removal is only temporary because that's a nice feature.
Can't you just remove the "bizarre hashing algorithm" code and use a
more standard notation? (as if I knew what I'm talking about ... :)

Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze rosselli at ling.unipi.it

Dave Malcolm
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Dave Malcolm
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
I started looking at the colours, what's the meaning of the "a0b0c0"
string? Tried some modifications but they didn't work.
The color attribute is horribly broken; I intend to remove it.
Conglomerate ignores it and uses a bizarre hashing algorithm based on
the characters in the element's name. Sorry about that.
Hmm, I hope the removal is only temporary because that's a nice feature.
Can't you just remove the "bizarre hashing algorithm" code and use a
more standard notation? (as if I knew what I'm talking about ... :)
I could do, but "under protest" :-)

I'm not convinced that specifying colours is a good thing. Conglomerate
ought to work with any GTK theme, and putting a load of colour values
into the xds files is likely to break that.

So perhaps what we need is a way to specify colours in an "indirect"
way. Conglomerate could have a number of colours stored in a themable
location somewhere, and the xds files could refer to these.

Can you give some ideas on what you'd use the colours for? If you like
we'll make the "color" attribute work so that you can experiment.
Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Dave Malcolm
The color attribute is horribly broken; I intend to remove it.
Conglomerate ignores it and uses a bizarre hashing algorithm based on
the characters in the element's name. Sorry about that.
Hmm, I hope the removal is only temporary because that's a nice feature.
Can't you just remove the "bizarre hashing algorithm" code and use a
more standard notation? (as if I knew what I'm talking about ... :)
I could do, but "under protest" :-)
Always better than a plain "Forget it" ;o)
Post by Dave Malcolm
I'm not convinced that specifying colours is a good thing. Conglomerate
ought to work with any GTK theme, and putting a load of colour values
into the xds files is likely to break that.
So perhaps what we need is a way to specify colours in an "indirect"
way. Conglomerate could have a number of colours stored in a themable
location somewhere, and the xds files could refer to these.
That would be just as useful, and even easier to handle.
Post by Dave Malcolm
Can you give some ideas on what you'd use the colours for? If you like
we'll make the "color" attribute work so that you can experiment.
Well, IMHO colours can be very useful in distinguishing structural parts
of a document. For instance, a normal TEI document has a longish header
which contains all sort of metadata: it would be nice to set it apart
using a different colour. Same for <div>s, or lists, or groups of verses
(<lg>s); OTOH some elements are so broad and all-encompassing (<text>,
colour (could be left to the user, of course).

That's because in my view Conglomerate is a *structure* centered XML
editor (if you want I can elaborate on this), so every feature that
helps in defining and visualizing structure is useful.

Ciao
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze rosselli at ling.unipi.it

Geert Stappers
2004-10-23 10:12:51 UTC
Post by Geert Stappers
The real check is doing a new download of
http://www.stappers.nl/gst/temporary/conglomerate-0.7.12pre1.tar.gz
( it includes the new hooks ui )
Compilation now runs just fine, it really deserved a .pre2 tag ;) A
Okay, thank you for the feedback.
Post by Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
you have this configure option
--enable-gtksourceview build with GtkSourceView support default=yes
"on" by default, as you can see, but in the final report configure
prints
gtksourceview enable: no
and it actually doesn't work.
It does help (at least me) to file a bugreport for,
please visit http://bugzilla.gnome.org for it.

Cheers,
Geert Stappers

P.S.
Cut & Paste this E-mail is a nice start for the bugreport